We've been here 6 months. My blogger buddy, Grace and her family have been in Dubai for 6 months so it's been fun to read her experiences in her new country too. She's inspired me to give a 6 month update.
I don't know if it's because we've been here six months, or if it's today's dreary weather, or if it's because of Kevin's chat with the girls last night about what they like/don't like about being here, or if it's because our friends are going back to Canada on Sunday, or if it's because our church is just so small and I just wonder sometimes what in the world we're doing here, or if it's because I just miss my house, the familiarity of all things Canadian, my family, my friends, my children's friends.....but whatever it is, I'm feeling rather melancholy and a tad homesick....right now....give me a few hours and I will probably be wondering how I could ever live in Canada again. :-)
I guess that's the nature of this type of move. You have good moments and bad. We didn't have any prep courses or information on moving so far from all things familiar, as say, a missionary candidate would have. God is our counsellor and teacher and friend, and thankfully the country we've moved to is English and quite similar to Canada in many ways. I often thank God that we didn't get the job in Baku, Azerbijan that we had been in the process of interviewing for the year before we left Peachland. I think that would have been exceptionally hard!
We do know that this is where God has for us to be. Just like I knew when I was standing at the front of the church about to marry Kevin, whom I'd only dated in person for 3 months and then long distance for 8 months, that he was who God had for me, even though I had a sudden wave of doubt. And, God was right. :-) Kevin is the perfect husband for me. So, I know that even though this whole move at times seems(ed) crazy, this is exactly where we are to be. So I will give the top reasons why I know this...at this time....
These are the things that God has confirmed in our lives and the opportunities He has presented with this move:
1. Kevin is getting to do his Master's degree. Everything has worked out so that within the next two years it should be complete.
2. I have been blessed with a job in a school office. I've often thought this is what I'd like to do, but when you feel 'stuck' in your current job, it's hard to break away and go after that which you really want.
3. I have discovered my passion for art once again after not having done any painting for many years....and I love it!
4. Danae has also discovered her gifts in the arts and hopefully it will turn into her career path.
5. Danae has now had experience teaching english as a second language.
6. Paige has been given the opportunity to attend a National level soccer tournament with her school soccer team.
7. Paige has found a job that allows her to be herself! At the Teddy Bear Factory. Making bears, working with children, meeting people.
8. MacKenzie has blossomed into a beautiful young woman, working her way out of her awkward adolescent stage. (people back home won't even recognize her!)
9. MacKenzie finds school so incredibly easy, that even with a change of schools, countries and cultures, education comes naturally for her and the sky's the limit!
10. We've had the opportunity to do something way outside the box with our children and watch them rise to the occassion. If they can conquer this being thrown at them during their teenage years, I can't wait to see what they will do with their lives!
11. Kevin has been given the opportunity to minister in a prison, which he thoroughly enjoyed.
12. Kevin has the opportunity in the future to teach short courses at the two Capernwrays here in NZ and the one in Australia. Who knows where that door will lead....
13. My favorite thing about living here....the diverse multi-culturalism. I love it! All of our lives have been so enriched by meeting people from all over the world. That in itself has been worth it all.
So, if I knew then, what I know now, would I have moved? Yes. Often times the best things for us are the things that stretch us, make us cry, make us question things about ourselves, cause us to fully depend on God for His strength and wisdom and courage, and the things that draw our family closer.
Thanks to our friends and family for your continued prayers and support. We couldn't be here without knowing you're backing us all the way!
God is good!
I don't know if it's because we've been here six months, or if it's today's dreary weather, or if it's because of Kevin's chat with the girls last night about what they like/don't like about being here, or if it's because our friends are going back to Canada on Sunday, or if it's because our church is just so small and I just wonder sometimes what in the world we're doing here, or if it's because I just miss my house, the familiarity of all things Canadian, my family, my friends, my children's friends.....but whatever it is, I'm feeling rather melancholy and a tad homesick....right now....give me a few hours and I will probably be wondering how I could ever live in Canada again. :-)
I guess that's the nature of this type of move. You have good moments and bad. We didn't have any prep courses or information on moving so far from all things familiar, as say, a missionary candidate would have. God is our counsellor and teacher and friend, and thankfully the country we've moved to is English and quite similar to Canada in many ways. I often thank God that we didn't get the job in Baku, Azerbijan that we had been in the process of interviewing for the year before we left Peachland. I think that would have been exceptionally hard!
We do know that this is where God has for us to be. Just like I knew when I was standing at the front of the church about to marry Kevin, whom I'd only dated in person for 3 months and then long distance for 8 months, that he was who God had for me, even though I had a sudden wave of doubt. And, God was right. :-) Kevin is the perfect husband for me. So, I know that even though this whole move at times seems(ed) crazy, this is exactly where we are to be. So I will give the top reasons why I know this...at this time....
These are the things that God has confirmed in our lives and the opportunities He has presented with this move:
1. Kevin is getting to do his Master's degree. Everything has worked out so that within the next two years it should be complete.
2. I have been blessed with a job in a school office. I've often thought this is what I'd like to do, but when you feel 'stuck' in your current job, it's hard to break away and go after that which you really want.
3. I have discovered my passion for art once again after not having done any painting for many years....and I love it!
4. Danae has also discovered her gifts in the arts and hopefully it will turn into her career path.
5. Danae has now had experience teaching english as a second language.
6. Paige has been given the opportunity to attend a National level soccer tournament with her school soccer team.
7. Paige has found a job that allows her to be herself! At the Teddy Bear Factory. Making bears, working with children, meeting people.
8. MacKenzie has blossomed into a beautiful young woman, working her way out of her awkward adolescent stage. (people back home won't even recognize her!)
9. MacKenzie finds school so incredibly easy, that even with a change of schools, countries and cultures, education comes naturally for her and the sky's the limit!
10. We've had the opportunity to do something way outside the box with our children and watch them rise to the occassion. If they can conquer this being thrown at them during their teenage years, I can't wait to see what they will do with their lives!
11. Kevin has been given the opportunity to minister in a prison, which he thoroughly enjoyed.
12. Kevin has the opportunity in the future to teach short courses at the two Capernwrays here in NZ and the one in Australia. Who knows where that door will lead....
13. My favorite thing about living here....the diverse multi-culturalism. I love it! All of our lives have been so enriched by meeting people from all over the world. That in itself has been worth it all.
So, if I knew then, what I know now, would I have moved? Yes. Often times the best things for us are the things that stretch us, make us cry, make us question things about ourselves, cause us to fully depend on God for His strength and wisdom and courage, and the things that draw our family closer.
Thanks to our friends and family for your continued prayers and support. We couldn't be here without knowing you're backing us all the way!
God is good!
Comments
Delving into art can be a beautiful thing. So many worlds to learn.
Thanks for sharing this terrific post!
On the brighter side, not everyone has a chance to live where we are right now, you in NZ and me, in hmm,never mind and most certainly NOT everyone has our guts to actually uproot the whole family from a place so familiar and "replant" it somewhere far and different and still produce "flowers". Sorry if I am not making too much sense...must be the weather here! =)