This has been a busy week! I love my job, but I am definitely noticing that it increases the busy-ness of my life!
I love being a Christian! When you meet another Christian it is like you have an instant bond and connection. This past week, a man came into our school to check it out for enrolling his children. I heard his accent as he was speaking with my co-worker and asked him where he was from. He and his wife had just moved here from Texas last week to be missionaries to the Chinese tourists in NZ! We exchanged phone numbers, as they didn't know anyone here, and I wanted to give his wife a call and see how she was adapting. I remember the 'fog' you live in for those first few weeks of moving to a different country. Everything seems completely surreal! So I called her that night and we had their family over for dinner two days later. We had a wonderful visit. Their story very closely parallels our own journey here. He will be attending seminary and she may begin working once they are settled. For now they are just house hunting and finding it to be much different from North America! I was saying to Kevin that if we hadn't had this house available for us, we would probably be in the same situation. The houses just aren't like back home and it would be hard to pick one that you felt you could live in, especially going from 3 full bathrooms to one! But we've made do and we're surviving just fine!
So we were incredibly blessed to meet some new friends this week and we look forward to developing that friendship.
We also had another highlight this week, that we are still all smiling from..... as well as this special event.
Tonight we are joining the other Canadians to watch the Canadian Rugby team play (or maybe we should say, get annihilated by) the New Zealand All Blacks. Someone said it would be like watching Canada play Africa in ice hockey! Check out the haka that the All Blacks do before each game. I can't wait to see it live!
One last thing to blog about..... the temperature inside our house! haha.... Although it is beautiful outside, around 10-20C each day, the inside of the houses here are FREEZING!!!! They don't use insulation and they don't have central heating! I remember my former boss at Edward J.ones, John, came from England and he would say how cold he kept his house in Canada and I thought he was nuts. But I guess when you've lived your whole life being used to having your house this cold, that's just the way it is! With the cold comes the moisture. Every morning all the windows are covered in moisture! About every couple of months I wash all the window edges with bleach to keep the mould away. We also have a dehumidifier working around the clock! It's pretty interesting! People think we're from Canada so we must be used to the cold, but we keep telling them that we have central heating in our houses where we stay warm! We don't go outside to warm up like you do here! haha ..... love it!
Well, I must go hang some laundry outside while the weather is agreeable!
God bless!
Comments